Photo credit: AP | People gather around a minibus struck in an apparent explosion as it sits near a highway overpass in Kaduna, Nigeria, on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012. Two explosions struck Tuesday near army and air force bases on the outskirts of the central Nigerian city at the heart of riots last year that killed hundreds, officials said . (AP Photo)
LAGOS, Nigeria - (AP) -- Bombs exploded Tuesday outside of two major military bases on the outskirts of a central Nigerian city at the heart of ethnic and religious unrest in Africa's most populous nation, injuring an unknown number of people.
The attacks came as a radical Islamist sect known as Boko Haram launches increasingly bloody attacks on Nigeria's weak central government. No one immediately claimed Tuesday's bombings, though suspicions quickly fell on the sect, even as state-run television aired a purported video Tuesday from the group claiming it welcomed peace talks with the government.
The blasts struck near the Nigerian army's 1st Mechanized Division headquarters and the training command of the Nigerian air force near Kaduna, officials said. Soldiers and security agencies quickly shut down access to the two areas, with some seizing the cameras of working journalists.
A third explosion occurred near a highway overpass, though officials had no other details about it.
It was unclear how many people were injured in the attacks, though witnesses said they saw injured soldiers wearing blood-drenched uniforms after the blasts. At the 1st Mechanized Division, the glass windows of the division's headquarters had been blown apart by the power of the explosion.